K-Tec

fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)

More
11 years 7 months ago #95052 by Nalini
Replied by Nalini on topic Re: fireball in the sky
We saw a fireball, not sure what it was. from Ballygarrett, co Wexford, it was at a compass bearing of about 60degrees NE from us. It seemed to be travelling quite slowly and then broke up into several pieces. we thought at first it was a firework but didn't look like anything we'd seen before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95054 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
Well, that's made my millennium.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
11 years 7 months ago #95056 by lunartic_old
Came across this article.

www.amsmeteors.org/2012/09/fireball-over...a-september-21-2012/

If it crossed the Atlantic that makes it even more spectacular.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: mykc

More
11 years 7 months ago #95057 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
I was at the Sugarloaf too and was peering through the eyepiece when Phil called our attention to the fireball. By that time it was due North, at an altitude of 50 or 60 degrees and was a spectacular sight. It had fragmented into a dozen or more pieces, many of which were disintegrating further. We watched it as it passed slowly to the West where it faded from view to the WNW. Like many of the others, I was too gobsmacked to make any notes, so I'm guessing that it took about 10 seconds to disappear. It was an amazing spectacle, a little spooky because it was so unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Lucky night!

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

More
11 years 7 months ago #95058 by lunartic_old
We at Sandymount lost it behind the houses, where did it disappear at the Sugarloaf Mike?

Paul

Rich Cook

More
11 years 7 months ago #95059 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
Hi Paul,

It just faded into invisibility low to the WNW, there was no indication that it fell to Earth.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds