K-Tec

.xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17015 by albertw

btw - The next version of MS-Office for Windoze will support saving directly to pdf.

See, when enough people insist that they need to be able to easily share the work they do with MS software with the world even the nasty evil MS listen eventually!

Yea right...
They are adding that so that they don't have to supoport opendoc IMHO

informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170700325

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17016 by voyager

btw - The next version of MS-Office for Windoze will support saving directly to pdf.

See, when enough people insist that they need to be able to easily share the work they do with MS software with the world even the nasty evil MS listen eventually!

Yea right...
They are adding that so that they don't have to supoport opendoc IMHO

informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170700325

Cheers,
~Al

Probably, but either way in a year or so this conversation will be a moot point and that can only be a good thing!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 6 months ago #17017 by lionsden

Nope!

Only to MS Windows users and I'm sorry but despite what the MS propaganda machine might have you belive that is NOT the the entire world!

Ok, point taken..... however! I'm not a huge fan of PDFs. When I get a spreadsheet, I like to be able to do my own thing with it, even something as small as sorting a list. You can't do this with a PDF file! and you can't convert it back either.

BTW, I'm a 56k'er so downloading Open Office isn't an option for me. I'm quite happy using MS Office. It hasn't let me down yet and I can assure you, Bill Gates isn't getting rich from me!

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17018 by lionsden
Blimey, 5 posts since I started typing me last post.
Busy little thread this, isn't it!

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17019 by albertw

Ok, point taken..... however! I'm not a huge fan of PDFs. When I get a spreadsheet, I like to be able to do my own thing with it, even something as small as sorting a list. You can't do this with a PDF file! and you can't convert it back either.

Thats the reason I like sending most docs in pdf. The first time you see a document with your name on it, that has been edited to say something slightly differently you'll understand.

Sharing is why using open formats is the way to go! That way we all can edit and know that each word processor or whatever knows exactly how to handle the document. With .doc you have to hope that microsoft hasnt changed it in the latest version of office.

Poor Jed when he reads all this tomorrow!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #17020 by lionsden

pdf will work with any document/image/spreadsheet whatever - it's just a print driver. Instead of printing to the printer you print to PDF - and then everyone can read it.

For what it's worth I'm 100% behind voyager here. I use OO.o myself but anything I put up on a website or even email I convert to pdf. It's common sense.

Eh,... Steve,
As I recall, I put up a pdf Messier list here a while back. Wasn't it you that requested I e-mail to you in xls??? :P

Leo @ Lionsden

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds