K-Tec

.xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17046 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: .xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

BTW, is there any way I could convert an xls file to java?

I'm really not sure if thats a serious question or not :-)

1. What do you mean by convert a spreadsheet into a programming language? :-)

2. Why would you want to anyway? :-)

3. Can you read xls files in a java ap? Apparently yes, but I dont have a clue how to. Something to do with a Jdbc Odbc Driver...

Cheers,
~Al

No Al...not entirely serious...I haven't completely lost my marbles just yet, athough may be getting there! :wink: Just thought I've try and show an "alternative", albeit an amusing one! Besides, if I did write a simple java ap, I've a feeling, albeit I'm open to correction, it may take up more bandwidth than 24kb, which is all my eyepiece calculator.xls file takes up. Ah well...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17047 by jhonan

Besides, if I did write a simple java ap, I've a feeling, albeit I'm open to correction, it may take up more bandwidth than 24kb, which is all my eyepiece calculator.xls file takes up. Ah well...

Write it in C# and get Bart to move over to a .NET server.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17049 by voyager

Besides, if I did write a simple java ap, I've a feeling, albeit I'm open to correction, it may take up more bandwidth than 24kb, which is all my eyepiece calculator.xls file takes up. Ah well...

Write it in C# and get Bart to move over to a .NET server.

And wait for the first avian-swine to evolve! :wink:

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 6 months ago #17050 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: .xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.
:)

More
18 years 6 months ago #17051 by Macros42

1) Viruses
2) Bandwidth
3) Not an open format

1) Anti-virus software, which anyone on the net should have an up-to-date copy of.
2) Come on Bart! I know bandwidth is a problem at the moment which IMHO needs to be addressed. The site is becoming a victim of it's own success. However, do you really think people will be uploading massive xls files, files which are so big that worthwhile savings would be made by using a different application? The typical spreadsheet is only 20 to 30KB.
3) Openoffice will open excel files and allow one to interact with them. If you want to just view them, Excel viewer allows that.

1) Even people on dialup when update files can be over a meg in size? In an ideal world everyone would have up to the minute protection but in reality it's not the case.
2) 30kb * 200 downloads = 6Mb. The same file in OO or PDF equivalent is usually half that. Add that up over the course of a month and it all adds up. As my dad said to me before - look after the little things and the big things look after themselves.
3) Excel viewer assumes two things - That you use Windoze and that you want to install any M$ products on your machine if you do.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 6 months ago #17052 by redmondb
Folks,

Please execusea few remarks from an LTL...
(1) GIF is a proprietary format.
(2) MS don't make it easy, but the XLS format is well known. How else does OO open and save XLS files otherwise? (For fun (sigh), I've even written code to "decode" the XLS format.)
(3) If someone goes to the effort of providing content for others, I believe it's their choice what format it's in. Nobody is being forced to access the data.
(4) For anyone who hasn't got Office, OO is a marvellous product. It's also frequently available on computer magazine cd's.

BTW, a sincere thanks for all the valuable and interesting information I've got from you folks over the last few years.

Cheers,
Brian.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds