K-Tec

.xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17021 by lionsden
For posterity:

www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic....rder=asc&start=0

(Second last post from the bottom of the fist page):P

NOW I'm running!!! :D

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17023 by jhonan

This is not an anti-MS thing it is an accessibility thing.

Could have fooled me when I read the rest of the posts! :roll:

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17024 by voyager

This is not an anti-MS thing it is an accessibility thing.

Could have fooled me when I read the rest of the posts! :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I DO hate MS and I don't deny it but that is not the issue here and would be an un-aceptable reason for me to implement any policy.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 6 months ago #17025 by jhonan
I agree with what you're saying about PDF format. That should be encouraged. All academic databases I've seen contain the papers in PDF format, which makes it very easy to search hundreds of docs for that citation you just can't remember (using Adobe reader)

Also, you know that when you open a PDF you're seeing it as the author intended, without the fonts, layout, or styles being messed up. Plus Adobe reader beats MS reader hands-down for functionality and usability!

So, for publishing docs in their final read-only format - great. The idea kind of falls apart if I want to publish (for example) my 'eyepiece calculation' xls.... Or any doc where the recipient might want to change data or make additions.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17026 by albertw

(Second last post from the bottom of the fist page):P

NOW I'm running!!! :D

:-)
In fairness he did want to modify the data so wanted it in a form he could edit.

I send JohnF articles for Arcturus that are saved in Office 2003 as doc's, though created in soffice as opendoc's, because I know he uses ms publisher to create Arcturus. Its then exported to pdf so we can all read it though :-)

Cheers,
~Al

p.s. Mr. Honan Soffice 8, finally has word count for a selected area of text :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #17027 by lionsden

In fairness he did want to modify the data so wanted it in a form he could edit.

The idea kind of falls apart if I want to publish (for example) my 'eyepiece calculation' xls.... Or any doc where the recipient might want to change data or make additions.

Exactly my point! PDFs are no are of no use in this case.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds