IFAS and Astronomy Ireland

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 3 months ago #7475 by spculleton
IFAS and Astronomy Ireland was created by spculleton
I spent ages trying to get the phrasing right on this question, and I'm still not 100% happy with it. Basically the question in the poll is asking whether or not you think that IFAS and AI should "open negotiations" or "have talks about talks", or essentially just get together and try to heal the rift that exists between them. Please give reason in your answer, but don't feel compelled to. Don't be under any illusions either. The IFAS committee hasn't been seen around here in a long time, so your opinion might make very little difference.

If anyone disagrees with the phrasing, then please let me know. I'm just trying to gauge opinion, not cause further divisions.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7476 by astroguy
Replied by astroguy on topic reason
I voted no becuase AI essentially is a company engaged in publishing and sales of hardware. I dont see why Ifas should engage in talks with (any) company.

Have fun!

Jouke

LX 200 GPS, Williams optics 80mm APO, Meade LPI, Canon 300D, Skymap pro, Lunar phase pro, Image plus, Exploradome.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 3 months ago #7479 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
I voted Yes, because Astronomy Ireland represents a huge percentage of this islands amateur astronomers. Without AI onboard IFAS cannot truly claim to represent Irish astronomy as a whole.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 3 months ago #7483 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
IFAS clubs, individuals and other groups have in the past and some (ILPAC!) currently are working to improve relations. In my experience these efforts have been met with, at best, being ignored.

The constitution of IFAS is perfectly reasonable as is. I voted no, as I take your option about concessions from AI to mean a change in their organisation. I don't see that happening, and since I'm not a member anymore it doesnt make much sence for me to ask for it.

I would approve of some affilation between IFAS and AI. Mutual links on website, promotion of AI in the list of clubs, AI mentioning this site and clubs in A&S, possibly a nonvoting position on the council.

AI needs to start this process by showing some acts of goodfaith. Promoting events that they are told about, support ILPAC, allow an IFAS (even just for handbooks) at astro-expo, etc.

Also if AI really want to be involved they need to actually start talking to IFAS and well, ask about joinging!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 3 months ago #7489 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
I voted no because any such move would be the end of IFAS. It would split the organisation an destroy agreat thing.

IFAS has VERY good and VERY clear rules on elegibility for membership, IMO chief among them is that the organisation must be deomcratic, Astronomy Ireland is NOT democratic, DM is not elected as its head, he founded AI and his word is law. This seems to have worked well for AI but it is totally un-compatible with what IFAS stands for.

The day AI have elections of their officers is that day I request that IFAS extend an offer of membership to AI. I honestly don't see that ever happening. In IFAS all clubs are equal, I can't imagine AI e ver signing up without some form of special treatment being extended to them and as one of the Astro2 members of the IFAS committee I would oppose and such special treatment exceptionally vehamently.

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 3 months ago #7494 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland

Without AI onboard IFAS cannot truly claim to represent Irish astronomy as a whole.

IFAS has 15 clubs, 2 of them national clubs, that are open to all, the website is open to all. There is a very large overlap with A&S subscribers, and A&S usbscribers are free to post here without membership of any club, so it should be representative.

You, I assume, are speaking in terms of clubs, I'm speaking in terms of members and the general public. At least I think thats why we disagree this time!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds