K-Tec

IFAS and Astronomy Ireland

More
19 years 3 months ago #7512 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
I voted:

'Yes, but the IFAS constitution should not be altered'

Its a small world, people should get along. IFAS has a constitution that supports the amateur astronomer in Ireland. IFAS has a very good forum for astronomy. IFAS provides a support mechamism for local clubs and all their members.

If AI wish to promote astronomy in Ireland and in doing so, see that some kind of affiliation with IFAS is a good thing for this hobby, then let it do so under the terms of the IFAS constitution.

If IFAS chooses to change the constitution to allow AI to participate, then I see no fundamental problem. After all, a change in the constitution would need to be discussed and agreed before it is made. So in principle, that is why I voted as I did. Now, what happens in practice may very well be an entirely different matter.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7515 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
I voted "Yes, but I want AI to make the first move and to compromise" because no-one else voted for it!

Seriously, though, my gut feeling is that AI and IFAS are fundamentally different types of organisations. AI seems to exist to support A&S Ltd (and vice-versa). IFAS seems to exist for the love of the sky.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7525 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
I voted Yes, but the IFAS constitution should not be altered

David Moore is just one man. One man who happens to run a not-so-large astronomy club without proper democratic elections. Still, he is also an astronomer, albeit one trying to make money from the hobby that is astronomy.
All of AI's members are amateur astronomers too, just like all the members of the 15 clubs in IFAS. So, why can't all astronomers come together?
But in doing so, I believe that AI/A&S is to change David Moore's policy of not having open democratic elections for committee, as almost all other cubs and societies do, even before the IFAS constitution was drawn up - its what clubs and societies do!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7542 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
This is a tricky situation,
I feel the need for all amateur astronomy organisations on this island to come together but I cannot see AI been a part of it for a number of reasons

1, if AI were somehow to join IFAS, IFAS would be fatally fractured, PERIOD !!
2, AI would have to become democratic society which it isnt, its a company.
some people just can't get that into their heads !!!!!
3, AI would probabily loose members if it were to join AI, so its not financially
viable, hence the company would suffer, well at least thats my opinion.
4, what does AI get out of this ????.

And after all that, AI is not really an amateur organisation?.
As someone gets paid in AI, is it not then a professional outfit, some might even call it a company :wink:
Amateurs don't get paid.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #7548 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
In the short term, I can't see IFAS and AI merging in any way. Neither party have anything to gain by it. Some people seem to think that if IFAS had more members here we'd be somehow a better organisation. I don't think so. Whether you've got 10 or 10,000 members, it shouldn't make a massive difference. The most important thing is that those who take part enjoy the experience.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7882 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
One point that is forgotten in all this discussion is that IFAS is
a federation of astronomical societies, not some central organisation.
It's only remit re A.I. is to admit them or not as a member. If A.I.
wanted to join (which I doubt) they would not fulfil the conditions of the
IFAS Constitution as A.I. is presently constituted.

John O'Neill
IFAS Vice-President

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds