• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 3 months ago #8022 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland

One point that is forgotten in all this discussion is that IFAS is
a federation of astronomical societies, not some central organisation.John O'Neill
IFAS Vice-President

That point is neither being forgotten nor ignored John. We're all very well aware of the constitution of IFAS and the implications thereof. Things can be changed. Where once there was nothing, now there is an IFAS. Does this IFAS have to remain as constituted? Certainly not. While most of us are not permitted to attend IFAS meetings, surely as IFAS members, we are allowed to speculate as to the future of IFAS and what direction it should go in. That's really what we're looking at here, not the personal legacies of some split.

Personally I would like to see IFAS becoming more of a national organisation. Drop the "F" and so forth. Will it happen? Who knows.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8023 by morpock
Replied by morpock on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
I vote no. AI represents first and foremost the commercial interests of AI.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8065 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: IFAS and Astronomy Ireland
I think it would be great for astronomy in Ireland if the two could come together and put aside their differences. So much could be done for the amateur astronomer in this country, but alas, we all know this will never happen.

The IFAS is what it says it is – an Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies. It is a federation of clubs, and it’s constitution defines this. This constitution should NOT be changed to facilitate the entry of a business. Regardless of what anyone might say, AI is a business! AI/A&S Ltd would have to separate the two entities. DM could stay the manager/owner/proprietor of A&S Ltd, and let AI elect its own committee from it’s membership. Then, and only then, should an application into IFAS be considered.

I had typed a longer response and then deleted most of it. Basically the above gives my reasons. I also didn’t want to go into the in and outs of how AI/A&S do business ( I could find nothing positive to say about this so I decided to say nothing ) – this has been done to death on other posts.

Answer: No….. regretfully,….. but realistically. As long as DM holds the reins of AI, it will never happen.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds