K-Tec

KAS - is it up and running?

More
19 years 1 month ago #10215 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?
I think we should just keep control on the FTP details. Dave's doing a fantastic job on the webpage and he does this sort of thing every day of the week. Besides, you know what they say about too many cooks... :wink:
Seriously, we just need to keep a control on it.

As for astrophotos, I'll try and compile what I have together with their various details. For the moment you can use www.geocities.com/michaeloconnell78
There are also some links there which may be useful.

Clear skies,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10217 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?
I suppose the best thing to do is to allocate certain areas of the site to different people.
The site is designed to work with a programme called Macromedia Contribute. This allows anyone, regardless of their technical expertise, to update the site as easily as editing a Word document.
At the moment it would just be nice to get ideas about what people would like to see on the site. we can compile this into a list and then develop the structure of the site.
In the meantime we'll let Jim work on the content- just so that we have a few pages up.

IFAS web team

More
19 years 1 month ago #10218 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?

The site is designed to work with a programme called Macromedia Contribute. This allows anyone, regardless of their technical expertise, to update the site as easily as editing a Word document.

A lovely theory but it has its problems: validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2F...nomy.com%2Flinks.htm

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 1 month ago #10219 by michaeloconnell
I suppose we'll also need pages for the following:
Monthly Meetings
Observing
Light Pollution
Public Awareness Programmes - or something along these lines???

Perhaps we could have a little icons in the observing page showing the moon phase, aurora activity, sunspots from the SOHO satellite page, cloud cover, moisture levels in the atmosphere etc. I'll post links to these later this evening. Then we can insert them so that they automatically update themselves on our webpage negating the need to go to seperate webpages - sound ok??

Perhaps also have a Astro News page - again link onto a couple of astronomy/space news sites and have the content directly in our webpage?? I can provide links later.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10220 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?
It's true, and I'm all up for validation, but generally as long as the page is usable and people can see it I don't worry too much about validation. Your never going to get 100% compatibilty- whether it's programming orientated like validation, or design compatibilty such as colours, Flash and screen resolution.
Bottom line- I'd prefer to have people contributing to the site rather than trying to please the folks over at W3C. The site will work fine for 99% of users.

IFAS web team

More
19 years 1 month ago #10229 by michaeloconnell
Cloud cover
meteosat.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/cgi-bin/me...mp;D.x=76&D.y=40

Water Vapour
meteosat.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/cgi-bin/me...mp;E.x=87&E.y=31

Moon Phase
aa.usno.navy.mil/idltemp/diskmap_99.jpg

Aurora Activity - Northern Hemipshere Map
www.sec.noaa.gov/pmap/gif/pmapNst.gif

Aurora - Current Activity Status
www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/rt_.../plots/act-label.png

Aurora - Current Geomagnetic Activity
www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/summary/aurorawatch/rolling.png

SOHO - Sunspots
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/synoptic/sunspots/mdi_sunspots.jpg

I've seen some websites whch link news from Universe Today and I have to say it looks very well. There's more info on how to do it here:
www.universetoday.com/html/syndicate/

As a separate link we could use the following for checking on weather conditions:
www.metcheck.com/48hrforecast.asp?lat=53...7&locationID=300

These would be useful as a one-stop-shop for checking on the latest observing conditions

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds