K-Tec

KAS - is it up and running?

More
19 years 1 month ago #10294 by finnjim2001
Replied by finnjim2001 on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?

p.s. Do all clubs start off with this level of "organisation" ? ;-)

Al it's only the appearance of organisation. wait till we actually have to "organise" something :lol:

Somedays you're the dog,
Somedays you're the lamp post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10300 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?

Um... by pleasing the folks at W3C you'll end up with something that works for more users that you'll get by ignoring the standards.

You're quite right of course guys, I'll clean up the code :)
I just hate burying my head in code- I attended a Macromedia seminar where they told us that the days of using the code window had ended.... sure....

On the other hand, the W3C folks can't seem to agree on much, and the technology is streets ahead of their standards. The browsers around at the moment have a good degree of fault tolerence- you could spend your lifetime just trying to make a website compatible with them all.

IFAS web team

More
19 years 1 month ago #10301 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?

On the other hand, the W3C folks can't seem to agree on much, and the technology is streets ahead of their standards. The browsers around at the moment have a good degree of fault tolerence- you could spend your lifetime just trying to make a website compatible with them all.

Way off topic I go.... :-)

Yea, I've decided to go with the approach of making the HTML a simple as possible. I dont think I have anything as complicated as a table on most pages so as not to confuse the poor browsers and their various fault tolerances!

Then I use www.westciv.com/style_master/ for creating the css. Apart from being a really great tool to write the style sheet it also lets you know whats suported where. This way you avoid all the html extensions that browsers have added. Yes browsers have their own css extensions too, but using a tool like this you can see what they are, and they do not depend on the context like they do in html.

So the SDAS site probably doesn't work well in netscape 4. Ah shucks, go download a working browser :-)

www.csszengarden.com is worth checking out for ideas and exmaples btw, all the pages have the same html content but different style sheets. That site convinced me that handling all formatting in css is the way to go!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 1 month ago #10303 by dpower
I wouldn't worry about cross browser issues too much- I've designed a great many number of sites at this stage, and have NEVER received any feedback from a client telling me that their site doesn't look right. Even when a site uses Flash, everyone seems to be able to access it just fine, again-NEVER any complaints.
Having said that, if somebody DOES see something wrong with the site- let me know :D , otherwise I'm not going to kill myself.

IFAS web team

More
19 years 1 month ago #10304 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: KAS - is it up and running?

www.csszengarden.com is worth checking out for ideas and exmaples btw, all the pages have the same html content but different style sheets. That site convinced me that handling all formatting in css is the way to go!

At this stage I'm a believer in the 'CSS for style, tables for positioning/layout' approach...

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10305 by dpower
Amen to that!

IFAS web team

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds