K-Tec

Please help me find a telescope for my 9 year old son

More
16 years 4 months ago #55533 by Kerry
Thanks!

I was just speaking with my mum and she said we'll have to leave the city to see anything?

Is that right?

Will he be able to view from backgarden which is pretty dark?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #55535 by Kerry
Can I ask if anyone remembers how much these went for when Lidl were selling them?

More
16 years 4 months ago #55539 by dmcdona

I was just speaking with my mum and she said we'll have to leave the city to see anything?

Is that right?

Will he be able to view from backgarden which is pretty dark?

You're mum isn't quite correct... The darker the sky the better. If you can avoid light pollution, all the better. That said, I'm close to Dublin and I still get to see loads that you can't see with the naked eye.

I got one of the Lidl scopes way back - I think it was around 170 Euro. That said, I think a few folks had "quality" issues.

Dave

More
16 years 4 months ago #55541 by Kerry
Thanks Dave. Was that the Meade ETX 70 AT for 170 euro?

I'm looking at the same one for 179 pounds!

Was it this particular model that had quality issues? Do you think I'd find the same with this one as I'm a complete idiot with this sort of thing and would be useless trying to sort out

More
16 years 4 months ago #55542 by dmcdona

Thanks Dave. Was that the Meade ETX 70 AT for 170 euro?

Yes, it was the ETX 70 but I could be wrong about the price. Have a word with Andy McCrae - he can put you right and may make further (useful) suggestions.

I think some folks had issues with the motor drives. However, if you buy from a dealer, you will get a warranty. If anything goes wrong you can get it fixed.

Meade have certainly had their quality issues - but they seem to have gotten things better lately.

I guess if you want bullet proof quality you could add a zero onto your budget... At the end of the day 180 sterling is actually still very cheap for a motorised telescope. My setup has cost me the best part of the price of a luxury car - really...

He'll be grand with the ETX 70 or any suggestion from Andy in the North. You won't be wasting your money for sure.

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 4 months ago #55546 by mjs
Hi Kerry,

Michael Scully here in Kerry Astronomy club. A good few of our club members have that ETX70 telescope and are very happy with it. We do hold observing sessions when the weather allows and at this time of the year we usually head for Banna beach near the coastal rescue building. The sky is nice and dark there and it is not too far from town.
We do hold monthly meetings in the new ITT building, usually on the second Tuesday of the month, more details on the website, (link below) but for December we have our christmas dinner/social event.
We welcome all members and have special rates for juniors and family's.

PS where is he doing the course on astronomy?

Talk to you later.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds