K-Tec

Please help me find a telescope for my 9 year old son

More
16 years 4 months ago #55523 by pmgisme
Of course he is bright Kerry!

Any other type of person is unknown to Astronomy.

Peter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #55526 by Kerry
LOL!

Would the lenses be good enough on that telescope for a beginner? I know his expectations will be higher than delivery especially in my price range and his limited experience.

Do astronomy clubs take kids? There is one in town (Tralee).

More
16 years 4 months ago #55527 by Kerry
It also says the following in advert:

"but we have this super Special Edition version for just £179.99 inc UK p&p!"

Does super special edition mean less features? Would it be the same spec as the one you are thinking a lot of folk here have?

Thanks for all your help and being so patient with me. It must be wearing!

More
16 years 4 months ago #55528 by dmcdona
The eyepieces will be OK. You can always upgrade just the eyepieces later on - birthdays etc... You can get eyepieces cheaply and there are some real bargains to be had second-hand.

That said, within a year or two (if he's still into it) he may start exhibiting signs of "aperture-fever" - its incurable and very costly...

I'm sure Kerry Astronomy Club would be delighted to see him. Membership for under 16's is a tenner according to their website www.kerryastronomyclub.com/

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 4 months ago #55529 by dmcdona

Does super special edition mean less features? Would it be the same spec as the one you are thinking a lot of folk here have?

Thanks for all your help and being so patient with me. It must be wearing!

Kerry - they're being pretty liberal with the hype alright. But the "Special Edition" does contain all he'll need to get him going. This is the telescope a good few folks would have bought a year or two ago from Lidl (they did a special offer).

By the way, just check what they'll charge you for postage. It says its free in the UK. Obviously they charge extra to deliver to Tralee - just find out how much. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive - 20 quid perhaps?

Actually, you might try another dealer in Northern Ireland - Andy McCrae he may be able to offer you the same 'scope. He is a Meade dealer and has an excellent reputation. I've dealt with him personally - faultless.
www.northdowntelescopes.co.uk/

Andy may even have other options in your price range

Lastly - fire away and ask as many questions as you like. Its not tiring at all - we're here to promote this hobby and especially to help beginners (and their parents!).

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 4 months ago #55532 by stevie
Kerry

Certainly contact Andy to see what he can do for you, as Dave said, he provides a faultless service. But I'll tell you what, when I was nine years old ( a loooong time ago), I would happily have given you my right arm for a telescope like the Meade. Your son will be delighted with it.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds