K-Tec

Please help me find a telescope for my 9 year old son

More
16 years 5 months ago #55591 by dmcdona
Kerry, if they open at eight, get there for ten to! I wouldn;t know which shop would be better. If the first one doesn't have the ETX or they have been sold, leg it to the next shop.

Perhaps go to the quieter of the two shops first?

As regards quality, of course, there are no guarantees that the one you pick will be OK. However, there'll be no problem with Lidl refunding you the money or you can call Meade and get it fixed under warranty. As far as I know, the number of dodgy ETX's was quite small. And even then, folks either got them fixed or got their money back. Whilst its a pain, at least you know you can't lose out.

That said, you might get a perfect one. I'd recommend taking it out of the box and trying it out before the 25th... If you need help getting it going, just shout out on these boards - there's plenty of quick help available.

Good luck!

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55599 by jhoare
I'd agree with Dave, go to the quieter of the two shops first and go early. When I bought my LXD75 I didn't get to the local branch in Kildare (relatively quiet) iuntil 10 past and one of the two they had had already gone. I never did find out who bought the other one...

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55642 by Kerry
Yikes! They only had two in? Was that one of the more expensive telescopes?

I was hoping to get it done before school run which means the closest shop which I assume will also be busier. Though you never know. I suppose I could get there REALLY early and if there's a queue then hightail it over to the next closest shop.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55648 by pmgisme
The shakey tripod of the ETX 70 would not be up to adult standards.

But when I remember trying to lift a heavy telescpope when I was just 8 years old the ETX 70 looks luxurious indeed.

Peter.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55649 by Kerry
Can I ask one more question about this particular telescope? It says on Lidl ad that it is computerized. Does that mean he won't be able to set it manually?

Also I was told that there were 3 kinds of telescopes: Newtonian, Refractor, Sct,? Could anyone tell me what type this one would be?

You all are very kind to help me!

More
16 years 5 months ago #55650 by Kerry
I see this also at Lidl on Monday:

www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.200712...uxRefractorTelescope

Is that any good? Just in case I can't get my hands on the other?

Am envisioning people racing through the aisles and grabbing!

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds