K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse July 2010

More
14 years 10 months ago #79304 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse July 2010 - getting Booked Up
ayiomamitis wrote:

John,

Some numbers being circulated mention a $10,000 USD cost for this excursion to Easter Island ... and all of this for a location with a 40% predicted success rate due to the weather.

If these numbers do hold, I am certainly out of this one since I would rather spend that kind of money on serious equipment (ex. another AP1200GTO mount).

Part of the problem is that the Chilean airline "LAN" has an exclusive route between mainland Chile and Easter Island and pricing is already around $2500 for this segment alone.

Similar gouging is happening with the accommodations on the island.

Anthony.

I had a look at the lan.com website.
So far, only flights up to the 4th July 2010 are available, probably cause it is so far ahead.
I put in dates for June and went for London -> Easter Island.
The return price came in at 1,510 euro per person return.

If we book the flights for the eclipse as soon as they become available on their website, perhaps we will have a chance at getting them at similar rates???

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #79305 by ayiomamitis
Hi Michael,

And they will cancel the flights as we approach the general period of interest so as to get rid of the seats sold so cheap, reschedule and then ask for a much higher amount.

All of this was discussed on the SEML list and it seems to be a common tactic amongst airlines were monopolies can reap huge rewards once the airline(s) realize what is at play.

To add insult to injury, you are stuck with your airline tickets for the other segments and you are suddenly S.O.L. for the critical segment (Chile->Easter Island).

Any idea how to get some sort of cancellation insurance (with a large premium) to bypass these silly games?????? :unsure:

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by ayiomamitis.

More
14 years 10 months ago #79321 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse July 2010
Well that's a kick in the crotch Anthony, have you seen this type of 'scamming' happen before?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
14 years 10 months ago #79323 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse July 2010
Seanie,

This is something which I have not experienced personally but I have heard reports of such action. It is very unethical and totally unprofessional.

In one sense it is an extension of the overbooking that airlines implement and where they will sell more seats (and tickets) then they have available knowing that a percentage, on average, will not show up. Of course, the cancellation and rescheduling for greater profit takes things an extreme step further.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
14 years 10 months ago #79324 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse July 2010
PS. Imagine purchasing tickets for Athens->Los Angeles->Santiago->Easter Island and then being told the last segment (Santiago->Easter Island) is being cancelled ... oh yeah, it has also been rescheduled but will now cost $xxxx. : angry:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
14 years 10 months ago #79325 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse July 2010
ayiomamitis wrote:

PS. Imagine purchasing tickets for Athens->Los Angeles->Santiago->Easter Island and then being told the last segment (Santiago->Easter Island) is being cancelled ... oh yeah, it has also been rescheduled but will now cost $xxxx. : angry:

I don't want to encourage an off-topic thread here, but you would think there is some sort of regulatory body that would oversea these kinds of actions in the interests of fair play and, well, I suppose something akin to merchantable quality (with regards to airlines). It is something that is probably left up to countries individually, therefore they can do what they want.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds