K-Tec

.xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17054 by albertw

No Al...not entirely serious...I haven't completely lost my marbles just yet, athough may be getting there! :wink: Just thought I've try and show an "alternative", albeit an amusing one! Besides, if I did write a simple java ap, I've a feeling, albeit I'm open to correction, it may take up more bandwidth than 24kb, which is all my eyepiece calculator.xls file takes up. Ah well...

Ah right, so taking the macro or formulas or whatver out and writing it in Java.

I'd imagine the java would be bigger, you have to weigh up the size of excel and its memory cpu consuption against the JVM's size memory and cpu consumption as well. Then weigh that against the benefits of writing in Java. Your app can run on any webpage which you cant do in excel. It can be downloaded to any computer and run as you intended which you cant do with excel. And if you like you can create it so that the user automatically can connect to your server and download any updates that you have, again which you cant do in excel. Depends on what you want to do. Where do you want to go today versus where do you want to go tomorrow ;-)

But if you want to compare pears with pearlike things I could probably write the tool in C to run on windows in less than 24kb.

Mail be the formula/spreadsheet and I'll look at writing it in java over christmas.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17059 by Macros42

Folks,

Please execusea few remarks from an LTL...
(1) GIF is a proprietary format.Brian.

So's PDF but it's also an open format in that it's not OS or software specific. PNG should be the graphical format of choice though :P

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 6 months ago #17060 by Macros42

Yea right...
They are adding that so that they don't have to supoport opendoc IMHO

informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170700325

Cheers,
~Al

I knew I'd read this somewhere too - MS Office XML
It's their own XML format which they say is Open but it ain't.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 6 months ago #17061 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: .xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

Where do you want to go today versus where do you want to go tomorrow ;-)

I think you've a calling for marketing...must let your bosses know how multi-talented you are! :wink:

Mail be the formula/spreadsheet and I'll look at writing it in java over christmas.

It's ok Al. I'll allow you a java-free Christmas! :wink: However, I appreciate the offer. Besides, I doubt you'll have the time to write a java ap for every spreadsheet that comes along.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17062 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: .xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.
BTW, I've enjoyed this discussion, especially as the weather is terrible and I'm on hols for the next 10 days.

• Jed Glover
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 6 months ago #17065 by Jed Glover
Wow, if only everything I said caused as much impact :)

The spread sheet is 17Kb.

As a DBA I can only sympathise with the anti MS slant here, it causes me a lot of problems in my work life as well.

On the data front as open office and most other commercial spread sheets can read .xls I don’t really see the problem. However if the webmaster says no we have to live with this restriction.

I will ask Dave Grennan if he will host it, is it permissible to post a link?

Thanks,

Jed

PS Sorry for causing a fire storm

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds