Tsunami Charity Event

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 3 months ago #7653 by spculleton
Tsunami Charity Event was created by spculleton
Like everyone here I was shocked by the events of December 26th. It's humbling to see the effect that a natural phenomenon like an earthquake can have, but also encouraging to see how people have responded to the event. The BBC, indeed the British public, had a very moving tribute during their New Year's countdown, while to their shame, to our shame, RTE decided to run their pre-recorded show with Gay Byrne.

Anyway, I would like to propose that IFAS, through the member clubs and the active members, organise an event to raise funds for these people. It may not be much, but at least we would be doing something. The logical thing for us to do would be organise an observing session, or rather nationwide observing sessions. If we worked with a charity like Goal or the Red Cross then we could alert more people to what we were doing, as well perhaps as allaying some fears regarding public liability. To make these sessions accessible they would have to be held in fairly public places, like the Sandymount Car Park used by SDAS and the IAS. This would rule out most DSOs, but we could still show Saturn to people, as well as a waxing Moon possibly.

If people are interested, just reply here or let me know through PM or email and I'll see if we can get some charity to come on board with us. I think the weekend of the 14th of January would be a good time for us to plan to hold these events. In case of inclement weather we could organise other events. Starizona, for example, held a star-name auction for charity recently. The brighter the star the higher the starting offers, and of course people were informed that it was all informal, unofficial, and for charity.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7654 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
I'm in whatever the plan is! Sandymount is good. If other clubs could confirm that the date suits then we can coordinate the sessions and publicise, we need to get this confirmed over the weekend in order to get notices out etc.

Fri 14th looks like being the best chance of a clear sky for the next couple of weeks. Clouds and rain rolling in overnight and staying for a week.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 3 months ago #7655 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Hi all,

Our usual EAAS enterance fee plus a lot more, was donated to the Asian Disaster Fund on Monday night and I am very happy to report that the final tally was £251:30p. and counting! I am very proud of all our members for giving so generously to what is probably the worst natural disaster for many years.

Good luck to the other clubs with their efforts.

Johnmc.

www.eaas.co.uk

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 3 months ago #7660 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Great idea Shane. You can also count me in for anything you plan to do. I can bring along a 16inch reflector if you want.

Saturn, Comet Macholz and M42 would be good objects for the evenings entertainment?

Regards,

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 3 months ago #7663 by eclipsedan
Replied by eclipsedan on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
I'd be happy to help any initiative in Dublin.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7666 by spudnik
Replied by spudnik on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
great idea! I just moved up to dublin and this would be my first observing session (ie not on my own). id be happy to bring along my shiny new etx70. :wink:

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds