K-Tec

Tsunami Charity Event

More
19 years 3 months ago #7667 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
some info that I sent in a mail to a couple of the lads;

there might be some interest in the event for the 14th. It's the same night that the Huygens probe begins it's descent to the surface of Titan (live on BBC 2 from 11:30pm). Saturn is at opposition the previous night so the whole thing is very topical. There is a small asteroid (8 Flora) within 2° of Saturn (closest on the 18th) so big binocs might show it. Titan should be visible in the scopes anyway.

a Saturn-watch or some sort of telescope night sounds like a great idea to publicise clubs as well as do a little fundraising.

speaking of moving tributes, did anyone see the Vicar of Dilby on New Year's Day? The most moving and brilliantly done piece of TV I've seen in a very long time (the episode ended with the cast petitioning for an end to world poverty). I really hope the BBC show it again . . .

all the best,

John F.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7669 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
I'd be up for it.

But alas, my greatest fear is that the weather sucks for well over a week to come. How the hell can we plan around it?b Unless a Hotel or other venue sponsors a function room to do a star auction if the weather is terrible, then it would be no good.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic about the effort put forward (its an excellent idea Shane - kudos to you), its how to go about it.

:?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7676 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
It's a good idea Shane and well worth giving it a try I reckon. The problem as Seanie pointed out is that the weather will probably be unsuitable.. However, I think it's still worth making the effort. The worst that can happen is that we have a backup plan and meet in a hotel somewhere for a pint and some pub-grub.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7678 by Seanie_Morris

It's a good idea Shane and well worth giving it a try I reckon. The problem as Seanie pointed out is that the weather will probably be unsuitable.. However, I think it's still worth making the effort. The worst that can happen is that we have a backup plan and meet in a hotel somewhere for a pint and some pub-grub.

You make it sound like we'd be organising it within a small area - I thought we would be doing it through our respective clubs!

Thats why I said about the hotels not being co-operative! In Tullamore, you really get nothing for nothing...

:?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7679 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Sorry, meant it on a club-by-club basis.
If the hotel idea wouldn't work, we could have a talk/video presentation in the usual place as an alternative. Would this work??

More
19 years 3 months ago #7713 by Seanie_Morris

If the hotel idea wouldn't work, we could have a talk/video presentation in the usual place as an alternative. Would this work??

I'd like to think so - if the Order of Malta were not on at the time.

You know, the Vocational School/Tullamore College might be able to help. They have a playing field out the back where we could set up the scopes if it were clear. Light pollution is not a huge problem there, but Orion, Maccholz, Saturn would be easily visible from there.

And its only a couple minutes walk from the dead center of the town.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds