Tsunami Charity Event

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 3 months ago #7720 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Thanks to everyone for their very positive responses. I'm still trying to get a response from a charity to get them to come on board with us and help us publicise this event. I have assured them that we will have no costs to cover and that everyone involved will be giving their time free-of-charge. I'll get back to you as soon as I have anything else to add. Seanie's idea of using a local school is an excellent one, and would be a fine example of the best place to set up watches. Public, accessible, easily located (ie, known to all the locals) but unfortunately suffering a bit from light pollution. There could be a positive spin put on this as you could tell people what truly dark skies would be like.

Overall though we wouldn't be there to show galaxies, nebulae, and clusters. Charity is our main concern.

Thanks again everyone.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 3 months ago #7747 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
I get the impression from some of the posts that what we are talking here is an event or events aimed at other amateurs and club members rather than the general public. IMHO we need to get Joe public in on this in a big way if any kind of serious money is to be made.

Just my opinion tho.

Dave

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 3 months ago #7749 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event

I get the impression from some of the posts that what we are talking here is an event or events aimed at other amateurs and club members rather than the general public. IMHO we need to get Joe public in on this in a big way if any kind of serious money is to be made.

Well we need to get the people with the scopes there first though :)

Typically in Sandymount, many people go for a stroll along the seafront in the evenings, so the turnout for sidewalk astronomy events is usually in the hundreds once we start early enough and the weather is good. light polution there really sucks, but hey is where the people are.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 3 months ago #7750 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Just to update people, GOAL have agreed to help us promote the events and are delighted with the idea of a telescope night. They'll be sending me posters which we can use to show that it is an official GOAL event and to reassure people that all the money will be going to charity. They will also be helping us to promote the events and get them into the public's attention. I'l mail copies of the posters to club sercretaries, but I'll also need details of where and when from clubs so that we can pass that information on.

In other news:

I hope to run a Table Quiz in the Heritage Hotel, Portlaoise starting at 8.00 on Saturday 15 January. The hotel have very kindly given the room gratis, and I'm in "negotiations" with a national radio station to have one of their DJs act as quizmaster. If there are no objections I would like to run this event as an IFAS event in aid of the charity. People pay more attention in the media to IFAS than they do to Shane Culleton, for some reason. I would ask everyone here to come along, to bring a friend or three, and to help us support the worthiest cause any of us have ever been unfortunate to see. Updates will follow.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 3 months ago #7754 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Once again Shane, you leave us to shame. Well done to you for your efforts.

*thumbs up*

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #7762 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Well done Shane!!

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds