K-Tec

Tsunami Charity Event

More
19 years 4 months ago #7825 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event

You guys should know that Astronomy Ireland are running a comet watch on 13 Jan. The AI committee have decided that all monies raised by this event will go to the Irish Red Cross (at least that seems to be the favoured charity at the mo). I hope this doesnt upset anyone. However I think you'll agree with me that this is about getting money to where its needed. DM will be publicising this during the week. I wanted you to here this before it goes public. I will be supporting both this event and any event which you guys propose.

Hes was promoting an event last week, though didnt mention it being for charity. Your website also neglects to mention its for charity www.astronomy.ie/Comet%20Watch.html
Though he sent mails yesterday promoting the event on the 13th saying it was for charity.

Upset anyone? surley not. Glad to see after Shane posted here about a charity event that AI decided to donate proceeds of the second observing event to charity. Immitation is the greatest form of flattery ;-)

Unfortunately both nights look clouded out...

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7826 by albertw

It is a pity that we can't seem to work together on this, as the public aren't likely to go out and donate money on Thursday night, and then again on the Friday night. I suppose though, it just means that if the weather goes against us all on Thursday, then we might have better luck on Friday. As long as people make the effort, that's the main thing.

Since the SDAS event will be the only event on the southside I dont think there will be much of an overlap with people.

Shane, if it looks like being clear on Friday I can try and do more local promotion during the week. Talk to you tomorrow about it.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 4 months ago #7837 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Glad you guys see it that way. I just didnt want anyone to think we were trying to 'steal your thunder'. This was definitely not the case. Just as an update the AI event will support the Irish Red Cross. I spoke to them today (with the permission of the AI committee). They are sending us a letter of authorisation and some posters too. Hopefully the weather will play ball. All we need is an hour or two of clear skies and were 'suckin diesel'!!

Hopefully between us all, the irish astronomical community will be able to make a significant contribution to the the releif effort.

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 4 months ago #7842 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event

Hopefully between us all, the irish astronomical community will be able to make a significant contribution to the the releif effort.

If the weather is good, you might like to get to the park early to try and see the ISS transit of the moon. It will be at about 19:23. I think that would be a really cool observation to make!

More
19 years 4 months ago #7987 by albertw
Anyone interested in holding the SDAS event tonight also in Sandymount since the weather for tomorrow is bad?

Shane can you make it and bring buckets for money?

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 4 months ago #7990 by albertw
Actually forget it, I just looked at the satellite images.

It will be overcast within a couple of hours in Dublin.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds