K-Tec

NLC's!

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 11 months ago #28503 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: NLC's!
Hi all, what a wonderful clear night last night, I was out also in my back garden in south county Sligo till very late last night but did not see any NCL's. Did see a very fast moving satellite and an most unusual sight of one satellite passing in front of another.

Ronan Newman
Secretary
Galway AC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #28508 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: NLC's!

At the risk of getting shot, I have to say Martin that I dont see any noctilucent clouds in either of those images. i see normal dark clouds against the sky near the horizon.
To me it looks like a nice sunset well into the twilight with typical bright blue, white and yellow horizon hues.

At the risk of being hung, drawn and quartered next to Dave's bullet-riddled corpse, I have to agree! Martin, you do seem to have gotten a reverse Belt of Venus effect more than NLC, in my opinion.

But, Like Dave also says, your image does not do them justice if they are.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 11 months ago #28511 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: NLC's!
Martin i do believe you saw them! But i cant them on your images :)

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 11 months ago #28594 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic May 26th NLC's!
The sky was overcast last night but my instincts told me to get out of the house and go for a walk to the bottom of the country road to check the sky before retiring to bed - im glad i did because at 02.50 i seen a very bright Noctilucent cloud display only 3* above the northern horizon in the form of a brightly glowing white bar 15* long mostly obscured by clouds. This was a very bright display (type 4) and was clearily the most eye catching phenomena in the sky. At 03.05 it was covered by clouds so i only got a few not so good images. I got stopped by a car full of partygoers who lived nearby asking me what i was doing...they said i as mad lol. I spent the rest of the morning in a field waiting for the clouds to part but ended the session at 03.40. Type 1 or 0? structure. My 2nd display of the season. Im hoping these last 2 sightings are a sign of brighter displays to come. 2 observers from England last night also seen possible NLCs.. My images....

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
17 years 11 months ago #28595 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: NLC's!
Merged. We don't need another NLC thread, 2 days after the last one started, to record personal observations...

I'm adding the Observing Reports guidelines into this groups rules also:

For the sake of clarity and tidiness in this thread, the Moderators would like posters to to bear in mind that too many threads spoil a good thing!

PLEASE KEEP EXISTING REPORTS ETC CONTAINED IN THE ONE THREAD.

If there are ongoing observations an any celestial event, please maintain it on one thread, rather than multiple threads. For example, a comet sighting can be maintained in perhaps 1 or 2 threads spanning a week, not 1 or 2 threads daily on the change of tail, brightness contrast etc.

While it is not in the rule book, it is simply a matter of consideration towards all users!

Thank you for your co-operation :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 11 months ago #28596 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: NLC's!
Yes good idea! Im having problems trying to get this across aswell

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds