K-Tec

NLC's!

More
17 years 10 months ago #29176 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: NLC's!
Lads, someone says that your picture of NLCs is not clear so you leave? Suit your selves. Looks like the silliest thing I've seen in ages.

I don't think your photos clearly show NLCs, neither does Al. That's not "negativity" that's the truth!

You claim you have been some how wronged on the boards, I ask for evidence and get told it exists but not shown it. You claim there is a conspiracy yet you refuse to explain it to me in public or private and you somehow expect everyone to believe you and something to be done? Does that seem fair or reasonable to you? I'll be honest and say it doesn't to me.

People ask you not to start new threads but to re-use your old ones to cut down on clutter and email spam and that somehow counts as "going to the dogs" and/or "negativity". To me it's a simple request by some members of this community to make things easier for the community at large. It was a simple request that was well motivated and would have had no negative effect. Some people also warned you that there was some fatigue setting in that you would be wise to be more selective on what you choose to post, those suggestions were not made agressivly or in a hostile way but in a nice way by people with your best interests at heart. It was just friendly advice, nothing more!

Not everyone on this site agrees with you guys on everything. Welcome to the real world. Not everybody agrees with everybody else and not everybody likes everybody else. That's life. There are people on these baords who wanted me fired, so what, that was their opinion.

If you can only partake in a forum where everyone likes you and everyone agrees with you on everything then you won't last long anywhere. The real world is seldom that accomadating!

If you want to go, go, but if you want to stay I for one welcome you with open arms. Do what you want but I'm not gonna be tricked into feeling guilty or bad or anything like that and I'm gonna loose zero sleep over it.

Clear skies and happy observing.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29186 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: NLC's!
I don't think your photos clearly show NLCs, neither does Al. That's not "negativity" that's the truth!

Guy's I have been observiong NLC's for close on 40 years and I tend to disagree with both of you. Conor and Martins images do show NLC's typical of what we can get at the start of the season. If you cant see it then your enexperience shows through, as they are quite clear.

My understanding of IFAS was there to help member clubs in their exploits in astronomy and over the past few days I have seen nothing to substanciate that, and by reading these forums how would you expect to gather new members, with great difficulty I would imagine.

I have never voiced an opinion on these forums about anyone or any thing and I dont think I would waste my time coming back to do so again. So I will wish you all the best with your IFAS I hope it goes far, but not without the dedicated observers who have just left,Well Done! JohnMc

More
17 years 10 months ago #29188 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: NLC's!

Guy's I have been observiong NLC's for close on 40 years and I tend to disagree with both of you. Conor and Martins images do show NLC's typical of what we can get at the start of the season. If you cant see it then your enexperience shows through, as they are quite clear.

My understanding of IFAS was there to help member clubs in their exploits in astronomy and over the past few days I have seen nothing to substanciate that, and by reading these forums how would you expect to gather new members, with great difficulty I would imagine.

I have never voiced an opinion on these forums about anyone or any thing and I dont think I would waste my time coming back to do so again. So I will wish you all the best with your IFAS I hope it goes far, but not without the dedicated observers who have just left,Well Done! JohnMc

I'm sorry but I don't see your point at all. Is it not acceptable to point out that you can't see something in an image? Is lying for the sake of placating people the route to a good and healthy community? I can only speak for myself but I really don't think so.

Also, no one said there were no NLCs. I asked for some help finding them in the image and Martin Kindly pointed them out and I thanked him. Obviously, from your response, I did something terribly wrong by asking for help and subsequently getting a clear explanation. Would the community have been better served by my continuing to live in ignorance? Did the community not deserve to benefit from Martin's explanation? I would say the answer is no! I learned something about NLCs and so did other members of this community. Is that not a good thing? Is that not the whole point?

I said I couldn't see any NLCs and I couldn't. FACT. I have every right to say that and it does not make me a bad person or these boards a negative place. No crime was commited here. I urge you to re-read the thread and stand back for some perspective on the whole thing.

Like I said before, no one has been able to point to any evidence that some form of injustice has occoured despite it being asked for repeatedly by me. My conculusion, if, on a public board, no one can point me to a post and say "this post here is the problem because X or Y happened and it was not dealt with" then I have no choice but to assume that no such evidence exists. What else can I do? What else can the rest of the web team and the moderators do? We don't have supernatural powers afterall!

This is an open board where people are free to express their opinions and to dissagree with each other to their hearts content. All we ask is that people keep it legal, be civil to each other and abide by some simple guidelines to keep the boards organised enough to be useful and to cut down on email spam.

If you feel we are so terrible then leave, just remember you will always be welcom back.

Clear skies.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 10 months ago #29189 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: NLC's!

What can you say to a post like that!
Since I'm not responding to rainbows etc, I feel I can post here.
If you actually bothered stepping outside this atmospheric forum, you would see that the all the other topics are triving and doing very well. People are helping each other out and learning new ways of imaging for example.

The only grief is in this forum, I find it unremarkable that no-one else (there are literally hundreds on these boards) has seriously defended the 2 in question until now.
There are many very experianced observers on these boards, not everyone feel they need to keep a diary here.
People come and people go, if 2 leave, thats their loss, life goes on as do the boards.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• daveg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago #29192 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: NLC's!

More
17 years 10 months ago #29197 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: NLC's!

:wink:

Those ones I can see :-)

...and by reading these forums how would you expect to gather new members, with great difficulty I would imagine.

It will be difficult if any new members who post a query about not seeing a phenomena claimed in an image are treated to comments such as "If you cant see it then your enexperience shows through", "you wouldnt know them if they fell out of the sky and hit yea on the head" and "My sister who knows very little about astronomy was able to spot them in the images immediatley".

I still haven't seen a display from Dublin this year, despite the last few nights being clear.

Anyway, moving on...

Best Wishes,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds