K-Tec

Feedback wanted - Preliminary look at Version 3 of website

More
18 years 3 months ago #22154 by albertw

On the first point- perhaps it's valid, but on the other hand they are our national colours. I've been down this road before... I guess it's an IFAS policy matter- you lot just let me know about the colours. I'm gonna sit on the fence.

IFAS policy? doubt it :-)

Funnily enough if you took the Orange _out_ it would probably be more acceptable. I recently noticed this while discussing a logo for another group and found it bizarre! Green and White is acceptable apparently. (Unless you are wearing a shamrock rovers jersey!). Perhaps blue instead of orange? Bart seems to like blue today!

Perhaps some of the lads from the North could give an opinion on it? Would some of your members or potential members take exception to the colours?

On a design tangent, is there anyway that a Celtic cross could be made into a logo? Its got astronomical links (just mind you, the ring is meant to be the sun isnt it?), and should be acceptable to all (The Irish Football Association logo is the cross). Swirly galaxy thingy with crosshairs thingy...?

Could we do something with Ogham stones? Perhaps a logo with the Ogham for M1 in it? Yes it would take explaining, but at the rate Dave is going I'm sure he gould make it abstract and pretty!

Perhaps use the mathematical golden spiral rather than abstractly designed swirls?

Constellationwise I'd like to see the plough represented if any. Again need to be careful politically with that... Then again its only a constellation of stars, someone will find a way to object to everything. And Orion is so overused.

Or we can use my old SDAS logo ;-)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #22155 by albertw
Just wandering throught the mythical Ireland website...

Using three spirals is out, since it appears on old jumpsers from time to time ;-)

But, 2 spirals is ok, Anthony has a nice photo of a kerbstone in newgrange which is simple enough to logofy www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/new...os/images/kerb67.jpg

Anyone got an aerial map of the Knowth complex? Its kinda spirally. Or an aerial shot of the two rings at Tara...

Or something abstract around the illumination of the chanmers at newgrange?

Now if only I had some competency at graphics...!

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 3 months ago #22158 by Seanie_Morris
From reading the posts, it seems like we are going to come back to the spiral notion. Its the one that IS plainly obvious about Newgrange, and old Celtic Ireland. However, if you can picture something like this:

A sun, with rays (like the Japanese flag) shining through a rectangular box. Its the only way I could picture the Newgrange Solstice event in my mind (and thats where it looks good! :P )

Another idea is to perhaps get a Celtic weave going, perhaps there's such a design for a star in e.g. The Book of Kells? In b&w, print, and logo embroidery, that would be easy to use.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 3 months ago #22170 by dave_lillis
gosh, didnt this get complex quickly.
I didnt think of the lads in the north when it came to the colours, what would they like?? maybe some red in there?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 3 months ago #22171 by dpower
I can do permutations till the cows come home...

Here's an idea- if people just want to sketch what they mean and scan it in, once it's chosen I'll do it up in Illustrator, make sure it's technically correct etc. Pen and paper are far more flexible than photoshop. It's the idea behind concept is the important thing. Need a cut off point for this too- what about that competition?

What you think guys?

IFAS web team

More
18 years 3 months ago #22173 by albertw

what about that competition?

What you think guys?

Great lets do that!

Some rules I guess...

How many logos should you be allowed to enter?
A reasonably detailed sketch with colour is acceptable, it doesnt have to be photoshop? (that ok Dave?)

Anything else?

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds