K-Tec

Feedback wanted - Preliminary look at Version 3 of website

More
18 years 3 months ago #23087 by darragh
Bart,

1 Font please, not 3, the IFAS font looks silly and is more sci-fi than science

I'm still not convinced about the abundance of colours on the page but the banner has quieten down a lot.

I don't know if there is a need for the right-hand coloumn, it looks
like a place to put orphans but has only 1 item.

The right-hand coloumn squeezes the content coloumn.

A better overall layout would be something like the Chein Style or Zinfandel style from the CSS Zen Garden
Darragh[/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #23093 by Eirikg
I study this (it-> web, html, php, java ect) and is now taking a subject in just pure design/webdesign.

You use the stars/charts to make assosiations to what the site is all about, but its to much of it. You have to do it like when you write books, ppl have to read between the lines. If the book sais it all its not fun for the reader. Same with websites, "telling" to much makes the viewer go .. boooring. You must find something that is confortable. (just to say this, its much better then what is offisial site now) But its lacks some things.

First: The layout of elements is good (spare space im sure u will find content for later when site is coming to finished)

Then: The header with the sites title, its not realy eyecatching. This is were you want to tell what you are about. If you got a good logo that is just cathing all of what you are about that would be good. If you dont have anything, just plain txt over a image. I would choose a image of a nebula (as they are verry beatifull, colorfull ect, and ppl know what they are) or combination logo and background.

The txt, like with other types of design there are also the element of what is in and out with webdesign. Like verdana has been used for many years, even think its still in. Seen some use more spacing between letters. But for a sientific site i dont think that will be suited. Because you want to get as much information out. So txt should be small and not wide like verdana is. I see you dont use it, but if you want to try it out im just pointing to the fact that it may be modern but also compromising the space for txt you want on without the reader having to scroll up and down.

And as the poster abow pointed out, 1 font. The MOST 2. One for header with logo/ect and one for content, menues ect (but different size) As you already have tried you also incorperate assosiations to the txt type. Thats good for a header. But like darragh said, i get assosiation to star wars or something. So try with others.

Orion in background of menus i find "messy" and we already know from the header what the site is about.

Your layout is simple and works good, try to do the same with colors to. Maybe pic up color from the banner/logo. (see nasa's site, blue, blue in logo)

Dont know if you do this, but i find it much easier to make the site in photoshop, then cut out images ect. if any..

I should have said more, hehe but forgot after writing so much :D
Be consitence! good luck :)

More
18 years 3 months ago #23101 by dmcdona

Dont know if you do this, but i find it much easier to make the site in photoshop, then cut out images ect. if any..

Light the blue touch paper....

More
18 years 3 months ago #23104 by albertw

:-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 3 months ago #23105 by Eirikg

dude, im norwegian :) I used 20 min to fig. what that expression meant and im still not sure what you mean. :D

Edit:

Ok think i know what you mean now. "... if any" i say, i mean that you may find that you dont need any images you can have like just a plain box with color, and you dont need an image to make that in to a website. css or table will do that. Lots of other elements can be done with txt, "box menues" ect without having them as images.

More
18 years 3 months ago #23106 by dpower
Hi guys,

Couldn't resist despite myself... Had a bash at simplifying the layout in terms of colour/imagery. The rest (logo, masthead, picture of the week etc.) are just placeholders. You get the idea..

www.kildareastronomy.com/ifas_page.jpg

Sorry about the large image 56k'ers.

Dave P.

IFAS web team

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds