K-Tec

ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

More
18 years 6 months ago #18037 by Jack Feehan
Replied by Jack Feehan on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
Hey guys,
From experience the only thing I know about telescopes or binoculars, is that if you want good quality :o optics you must pay. You only get the quality that you pay for

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 6 months ago #18038 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
Absolutely sound advice Jack.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 6 months ago #18045 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
The 2 daves pretty much said it all, you'd be better off with a bigger scope, the planetary images are small from the 90, the optics are good but aperture is king. Go for a 125 atleast!.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 6 months ago #18072 by jeyjey
At some point the ETX range goes from refractors to Mak-Cass optics. I think the 90 is a Mak, which will mean much greater focal length, and better performance on the planets. I have an ETX105, which gave me some very nice views of the planets, M42 and M57, and one serious case of aperture fever that I'm still not recovered from.

I don't know about hanging a 350D off the back of one -- it's going to need quite a bit of counter-balancing and your image scale probably isn't really sufficient to light up the big CCD. You'd probably get better results with a webcam. Then again, I've never done any imaging at all, so I'd pay more attention to those who have ;)

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
18 years 6 months ago #18073 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

I don't know about hanging a 350D off the back of one -- it's going to need quite a bit of counter-balancing and your image scale probably isn't really sufficient to light up the big CCD. You'd probably get better results with a webcam. Then again, I've never done any imaging at all, so I'd pay more attention to those who have ;)

I think you hit it on the head there Jeff. What Darragh probably doesn't realise is that most astrophotography images he will see are made by using individual frames of a movie (.avi), taken with, more than likely, a very good webcam (e.g. Phillips ToUCam) or a Meade DSI/LPI, and those frames stacked and alligned in Registax to produce a combined image. Otherwise, he will not see as much details, in some cases any at all, if planning to just do exposures with a small scope and his photo camera.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 6 months ago #18090 by dmcdona
There is one proviso with the DSI that may be a clincher.

The DSI, when used in conjunction with a meade mount, is controlled by software that can make mosaics on the fly. You tell the software what size image you want (not resolution, though it does that too via drizzle) and it will guide the mount to cover that area of sky. As far as I know, you can get the software to image twice the area of sky that the scope/DSI combo can 'see'.

With increasing aperture, your field of gets progressively smaller. You can increase the FOV with a reducer. But, for example, the FOV for the 8" Celestron SCT I have with an F6.3 reducer, my FOV is not much more than about 15 arcmins square. If however, I had a Meade mount, the DSI software could double that area (probably about 21 arcmin square)...

So you get more FOV for your money without changing your scope. Of course, it takes longer to image, but if you can put up with that, then you can save *some* money.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds