K-Tec

ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

More
18 years 5 months ago #18446 by briano
I like these treads, there fun to read :) :) :)

Brian O Leary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18509 by dmcdona
Nice one Gary - thanks for that. DO you think a 7 year old would be able to use it (at least a couple of time anyhow)?

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 5 months ago #18744 by GaryC
I'd say that a 7 year old might need some help assembling the telescope initially. It also took me a while to line up the finder scope, but after that its very easy to use.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18767 by LUNAtic
Hi all! Just to add some more newbie comments to this telescope...

After a 13 year absence from astronomy I saw one of these scopes in Aldi and said what the heck. So I've been goofing around with it over the last few nights and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. Ok, so I can't compare it to top of the line gear but it is very usable and provides surprisingly good images for the price tag IMHO. Venus' cresent form is very obvious, Mars takes on a distinct orange disc form (but no details apparent), the moon is magnificent (had excellent views of Picard in Mare Crisium a few days back) and I also had a look at the Mizar binary and even picked out some detail in the Orion Nebula when still ridiculously low in the SE sky. I'm eargerly awaiting Saturn and Jupiter to be around during more sociable hours and will start on galaxies and nebulae asap. It's set me back on my astronomy journey and I reckon it would easily do the same for a child with some adult supervision and assistance (assembly, setting the finderscope, focusing and tracking an object). Probably a bit late with this review but I'm sure these scopes will appear again in Aldi (or their Lidl counterpart).

Hope to post again soon...

Neil.

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

More
18 years 5 months ago #18771 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
nice review.
Its good to see a honest review from someone who has actually bought one and used it.
I think the real feer with this scope is that, people who didnt have a clue what to expect when they looked through it would be completely underwhelemed and put off when thay saw that tiny red blob, i.e. Mars etc...

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 5 months ago #18776 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
That, and the expectations Dave! You know the way we (participating IFAS memers) have always slated these kind of scopes due to their description of the maximum power magnification obtainable!

Anyway, it is nice to see folks enjoy it - I suppose the price helps a bit too!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds