K-Tec

ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

More
18 years 6 months ago #18169 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

Too early in the morning for me, please forgive my mistake... I'm gone bright red here!

But what's ALDI's excuse for calling it an astrology scope on their website :lol:

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #18170 by Denton
I would like to point out that I do not 'love myself' as suggested (though I do rather like me, and we get on quite well) nor was I the first to list my observing equipment, but simply did so because SOMEBODY ELSE did it, OK? So perhaps that person is the one who 'loves themselves'. That is the ONLY reason I listed it. And I have in fact USED all that equipment, and David Moore never drops around. Even if he did, I don't think he'd be overly impressed, after all he has a 21-inch to play with. I trust that clears the matter up. Perhaps we can drop the scarcastic comments now?

As to actually looking thru such a telescope, well I've looked thru quite a few. And I was looking at the particular one in question yesterday. My comments stand. I was also unimpressed by the catalogue listing of it as a telescope for ASTROLOGY. Does it use Tarrot cards too? Also, anyone who gives the stated magnification that it does really hasn't a clue about optics, and is interested only in selling a product.

Denton P. Walter

More
18 years 6 months ago #18172 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
hi Denton,

I was hoping get a look at the scope in Aldi in Maynooth last night (was going to Catherine Ansbro's talk to Astro-2 for Science Week). The shop had just closed when I got there. I'd be tempted by a really, really cheap refractor to build a solar projection instrument (there was such a project in one of the 2000 issues of Sky and Telescope . . . forgot which month). I know it sounds a bad idea during solar minimum but unless I tackle it soon the project will be on the back burner another few years!

all the best,

John

More
18 years 6 months ago #18176 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

David Moore never drops around. Even if he did, I don't think he'd be overly impressed, after all he has a 21-inch to play with. Denton P. Walter

I really hope we're still talking about telescopes here :shock:

Denton,
It's all only a bit of friendly banter - don't take it personally. Like you said yourself we're all on the same side - to promote astronomy. :)

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 6 months ago #18182 by dmcdona

I would like to point out that I do not 'love myself' as suggested (though I do rather like me, and we get on quite well) nor was I the first to list my observing equipment, but simply did so because SOMEBODY ELSE did it, OK? So perhaps that person is the one who 'loves themselves'.

Who listed their observing equipment at the end of their signature? As far as I can see, in this thread, you were the first.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18440 by GaryC
Replied by GaryC on topic Aldi telescope
I purchased one of the Aldi telescope and I'm quite happy with it. The tripod is very stable. It also came with 4 eyepieces, granted the 4mm eyepiece is very dim, but the other three work well......

They are also alvailable from amazon at the following link:
(they also make the astronomy/astrology mistake)

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B...588-5223812?v=glance

I've looked at the Moon, Mars and Saturn with it and I've found it to be just as good as my Meade ETX70.
I my opinion its ideal for beginners.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds