K-Tec

ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

More
18 years 5 months ago #18817 by LUNAtic

That, and the expectations Dave! You know the way we (participating IFAS memers) have always slated these kind of scopes due to their description of the maximum power magnification obtainable!

What? You mean my new scope isn't the ground based version of Hubble?!? :lol: The images on the box and the stated magnification are deceptive alright, but hey, that's marketing for ya! BTW it also came with a handy star chart and astro software. I'm sure the software is very basic in terms of what's currently available but it's a godsend.

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18825 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

What? You mean my new scope isn't the ground based version of Hubble?!? :lol:

Afraid not! :D I got caught too when I got my first scope, a 75mm reflector - I thought I really was going to get a chance to see all those colours in Saturns rings! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18826 by LUNAtic
As a kid I had a 40mm Tasco "terrestrial" type refractor. Now that was a real piece of junk and enough to kill any interest in astronomy! But it's often too easy to blame the tools; how many top class scopes end up gathering dust in children's wardrobes? At least the Aldiscope will do a decent job and not break the bank, especially if a child loses interest, which seems to be more common these days with so many other distractions. Although how Pop Idol could be more interesting than our universe I'll never know???

Neil

More
18 years 5 months ago #18836 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
Neil,
What software came with the scope?
You're right also about expensive scopes in the closet, I know of one or 2 expensive SCTs just sitting there, rotting away, its sush a waste. :(

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 5 months ago #18852 by LUNAtic
Dave,

It's CyberSky 3.3.1 by Stephen Michael Schimpf 2002. Website is www.cybersky.com Very nifty for a newbie like me but probably basic for most of you guys.

Neil

More
18 years 5 months ago #18853 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
hi Neil,

thanks for that info on the software package . . . Cybersky is pretty good software. Sometimes the likes of Starry Night, etc. have too many gimmicks to make the sky look realistic. Cybersky is easy to customise (star colours, label fonts, etc.) and was the only package I had seen in a long time that allowed you fit an all-sky view to an A4 page when printing. My SkyMap Pro (v.6) always chopped off some of the horizon. The maps are quite clean too. I know the shareware version has some deep-sky objects but am not sure if the CD that came with the scope is the full version? I missed Aldi in Maynooth by 5 minutes last Tuesday week!

atb,

John

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds